The Bee

 They've smacked into my helmet, into my body, into my face. They've been trapped against my sunglasses, zoomed down my jersey, even "kissed" me on the inside of my lower lip. The time a large hive on the move passed over my head while riding was interesting, but also unnerving at the same time. I never really appreciated any of those close encounters. On the other hand there have been two occasions when they have used my handlebars as a momentary resting spot during what ever long flight they were in the middle of. It was kind of cool that I could afford them that spot for a moments' rest.

Never did any of those encounters travel back home with me (never that I am aware of). This past weekend I arrived back home after a journey through the wash. I unzipped my jersey (wearing the floral patterned one may have been the problem) and caught sight of something small falling to the carpet. Yes, it was a bee. How long it had been hitching a ride, futilely attempting to find some hint of pollen in the jersey flowers I had no idea, yet there it was, and something had to be done with it. I dumped the nicknacks out of a nearby box and scooped up the little critter. It looked healthy enough, but due to the way if fell to the ground, and made no attempt to fly away, I thought it might be on its last legs. Noooo. Suddenly it flew from the side of the box to the bottom, and rather than have it fly out and into the house I quickly closed the top down and carried it outside, opened the box and watched it fly away. My guess is it wouldn't be able to find its way back to the hive, but I did my part.

Just a little incident from a ride.



Comments