Tour Rider?

 I asked if he knew the jersey he was wearing was a classic by now. "Oh, yeah. I raced with them in the '90s," he said. They [Los Portales] put on such a good race in Whittier, I continued. "Do you race," he said. Ha, not any more, but back then I did, sure. Light turned green and away I went, hit one of those decomposed granite sections of PET and turned on the afterburners, so it wasn't until around Central Park in Rancho that he caught up. Breathing heavily from the chase he asked "were you a Tour rider?" I tried to keep the incredulity out of my response - a Tour rider? No, I was never that good. Why do you ask? "I just thought maybe you were. Your pedaling looks like a Tour riders, it's so smooth."


I will accept that compliment any time - thanks man!


On the way back home I spun through the Pomona College farm - last time I did that was early 2020. The Lady Sagehens were playing a soccer match on the adjacent soccer field, so I got to watch that for a while. Good start to the day.

Comments