For the Birds: Osprey


As things turn out, it has been quite a week for the birds, or at least a week for bird sightings - first Quail, and now Osprey. The first is far from rare, but not easy to photograph; the second is easy to photograph, but quite rare to see around here. I figured enough time had passed since I last ventured over to Bonelli for a mountain bike ride (at least a year) and decided it would make a fine afternoon ride. After grinding around the hills for long enough on roads that seem to get rockier and bumpier all the time I got busy with the task of heading back, which meant taking the lakeshore route. There were some folks down in the water, splashing around in their kayaks and laughing and all, but it was another sound that caught my attention. I considered it for a while, thinking it was more songbird-like (although much louder), rather than raptor-like, but followed it anyway until spotting Osprey up at the top of a cedar, feeding on a fish that he had caught. It was pretty cool. I wished I had my good camera with me, but was forced to make due with the one I did have.



Earlier, having stopped to take some photos of the prickly pear fruit, which are full and ripe everywhere you look right now, Pomona was spread out in distance and I was reminded that tomorrow morning is the September Ride Around Pomona - you might want to check that out. Whatever the case, it is a long weekend - get out and see what rare sights you can find.




for the first time in the history of the world, I came up that way

the midden on shell hill

pine cone cluster

feasting

Comments