Perseverance


Perseverance. Isn't that one of the hallmarks of greatness? I believe so. Like any other red-blooded kid I knew I was going to be great, I just didn't know if I would reach that status by leading the Revolution, or by leading the Los Angeles Rams. Neither of those, in case you needed it pointed out, came to be. I don't know when I figured out I was not going to be great - was it last week, or the week before? Anyway, whenever it was, I was okay with the idea. Greatness tends to take long-term, single-minded focus (among other things, of course); you've got to live and breath, day in and day out whatever it is you wish to be great at. I figure a wealth of experiences is better (assuming you have to choose one or the other); being adequately good at many things seems like it would lead to a more fulfilling life. If I had been great, perhaps I'd think differently. Anyway again, perseverance did finally get me those photos of Quail that I had been trying for, so there is that.


Picking at the ground
For seeds unseen
To my eyes

How long did it take
For them to learn;
Learn to distinguish
Seed from mote of stone?


this is where we are now -  not even reaching the ten mile mark and the sun already dropped below the horizon, its glow only touching upon the highest peaks

Comments