Peaceful Easy Feeling

 The suicide rate for military veterans is nearly double what it is for the general population.


Since incorporating the Up and Over Loop into one of my weekday evening rides I have been passing this roadside memorial, and decided it was time to stop for a moment. It is not new, and I am sure I stopped there once long ago, but could not recall any particulars about it - it seems to have been maintained for eighteen years now. Roadside shrines to victims of traffic violence have become proliferate and that is what I was expecting to find. If anything the cause of death is maybe more sad - veteran suicide. Judging by the Marine Corps flag, Mr. Medina was not only a Police veteran, but also a military veteran. Rest in Peace, Jorge Medina.


the night before, but with the fencing now replaced you needn't worry about falling in anymore



Speaking of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling," have you ever noticed how quiet and peaceful it can be over in the basin? That dam serves to be quite a sound barrier. I had stopped after noticing this lone [?] cottonwood whose spinning leaves had caught my eye, and without the turning wheels crunching along the ground there was nothing to disturb the breeze. Every little sound that makes up that endless din we live with on the other side was gone. It was unusual because invariably a plane will approach or depart from Cable, or a motor will pass by along Mountain, but at that moment, on this evening, there was none of that...

"...'Cause I got a peaceful easy feelin'
And I know you won't let me down
'Cause I'm already standin'
On the ground..."
(Tempchin)

Comments