Yakima Biker Bar


I didn't need a bike rack on my first two pick-ups (not counting the one I learned to drive in - dad's, which wasn't mine anyway) 'cause I just didn't haul my bike around anywhere. That all changed by the time the third pick-up came around, the bike went everywhere with me - to races, remote start group rides, remote start solo rides, vacations, grocery stores (just so people would know - hey, that guy is a cyclist), etc. A bed-mount bar, not too unlike the one shown here, served me well until I decided I needed a shell over the bed and discovered the trials and tribulations of roof racks. But that is another story.

Anyway, it wasn't long before the latest pick-up needed a rack to accommodate the hauling of two or more bikes. First I tried a version manufactured by a competitor of the Yakima rack shown here. Its square tubing seemed flimsy (square is just not a solid as round), subject to flex, and had no way of locking to the bed. If you had stood in the bed and yanked up on the bar, it would have come right off. Additionally, though the quick releases were lockable, the mechanism (as well as the keys) were cheap; I broke two of the three in no time at all.

Finally, my growing dissatisfaction prompted me to search another option - hence the Yakima Biker Bar. I always thought my Yakima roof rack to be high quality, solid, dependable - stronger than garage doors, as a matter of fact, so I guess it was only natural that I would head back to that company's product. The Biker Bar is solid, no flex, the bar locks to the truck for extra security, I have had no issues with the quick release locks (or the keys), and with the addition of that riser holding the mtb, I can transport bikes with both standard quick-releases and through-axles. Bikes sit low enough that I can pull in and out of the garage without worry, yet high enough that the camping box fits right up against the cab with room to spare.

My two cents: The Yakima Biker Bar (my local Competitive Edge had this one lying around, but I am sure your local shop can get one) is the best truck bed mount bike rack on the market.



Comments