The Cross Town Loop: Back at It


It was the first Cross Town Loop of the season. It may also have been the hottest day of the year. Those two things are normally incongruous, the Loop usually beginning its seasonal run during the much cooler days of March.



Knowing how over-burdened public recreational spaces have been the past couple weeks, I was not so sure I would appreciate the Cross Town Loop. However, foot traffic, along the Thompson Creek Trail portion, was surprisingly light, and was almost entirely confined to the paved path, leaving me free to speed along undisturbed in the dirt and rocks. And boy were there rocks, a lot more than I remember; then again, perhaps last night I was especially attuned to finding them.

Though a certain group of Psychos took a nice walk there on Tuesday, the Colleges were still adorned with their "public keep out" signs, so instead of the Farm loops and then weaving my way back up to Mills, I took a seat along College in the hope that some photo-worthy bicyclists might wander past; in a way that did happen, as John and Sarah walked by, but the only cyclist to spin past was Mr. Keenan with his trailer full of window cleaning supplies. 

Up College to Foothill where, I was sure, I would finally find more riders using the new bike lanes but, again, even that was for naught. Spinning 'round and left onto Denver I was met with a blast, full in the face and deep into the nostrils. No COVID test, someone was barbecuing, and man did it smell good. I tell ya, that scent was so powerful it kept with me the rest of the way home. It was an odd kind of evening on the loop, and likely not to be replicated very often, but I am looking forward to adding it back into the weekly ride repertoire.

By the by, and I am not sure how it is enforced, but there is a big electronic sign warning park and path users that masks are mandatory. So bring it.

Comments