Two Wheel Tuesday: It's What's for Dinner

Among the most memorable words of advice given the mrs. when she was younger was the "keep your ears and eyes open and your big mouth shut" one. Knowing her the way I do, I can confidently state that advice did not go over well.  Skip forward a few decades, and tonight I would have gladly taken that advice to heart. Those fly / gnat things that appear this time of year are some serious business. 

Last year there were two consecutive Two Wheel Tuesday's when those buggers were especially thick; after that they, pretty much, completely disappeared. This is now the second week in a row but, considering all the rain we had this winter, I wonder if there will be another week, or two, before I need to start buying dinner again on Tuesday.

Those clouds you pass through are thick "blot out the light" things, they are like passing through rolled coal without the redneck pickup truck. As I rode through one storm cloud after another and they collided with glasses, helmet and face, it sounded like I was in the midst of a hailstorm. They always seem to be worst in the hollows, areas where rain puddles and mud lasts the longest. I came upon a couple walking women who said "don't mind us, we're just trying to get all these flies out of our hair." Yeah, I'm just trying to get them out of my mouth, I responded and spit out another three or four.

Maybe that is why there were so few riders out tonight, even the road group looked smaller than normal. I didn't see anyone on their mountain bike at the start but there were a few in the LVBC tap room - unusual because I'm supposed to be the first one back - I guess waving your arms around to clear a path through clouds of gnats will slow you down.


Comments