Ding Dong, It's May Day

Well, it will be tomorrow, Wednesday.

How we got from protest and workers' rights to playing ding-dong ditch with baskets of flowers, I may never know, but on May Day, the traditional first of May celebration, resides that strange dichotomy. I am guessing that the flower thing is older, or at least a version, the one where people dance around the May Pole decorated with Springtime blooms. As for the ding-dong ditch, do any parents still encourage their kids to ring the doorbell of the grandparents house then run away after leaving a basket of flowers to be discovered by the old-timers? I can't say as that I actually remember the prank, but there is photographic evidence, so I know it happened. I guess it was easier in the past - more moms were the stay-at-home variety than they are now and could afford to take their tykes to grammy and papa's for the day. There may have been some stuttering of continuation among my siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews, but I don't know that the tradition is carried on anywhere in the family anymore.

Anyway, this 1920 May Day photo from the Glasgow City Archives has nothing to do with that version of May Day, but rather shows long parallel lines of workers with their bicycles parading down the street in celebration of the efforts and, often, little rewarded contributions of their labors. 

That is May Day, sort of like two holidays for the price of one. Wonder if I will see any workers on bikes with baskets decked out with flowers on May Day this year?


Comments