How Long?


A family of quail, top knots bobbing, ran across the trail, the last in line making a short, hurried flight to get out of the way. The gravel being crunched beneath my tires as well as the various clanking sounds a bike makes when rumbling over rocks should have been loud enough to drown out the sigh; because of that I knew that it, as well as the sarcastic "thanks a lot" that came after, was for my benefit. I skidded to a quick stop, or as quick as the cantilever brakes on the Ibis are capable of, and swiveled my head in the direction of the rough words. I expected to see a familiar face, or at least an unfamiliar one, but there was nothing. 

"How long?" A question or an accusation, I wasn't sure which, redirected my focus. A pair of yellow eyes reflected the last of the sun, lips pulled back in a grin full of sharp teeth. Coyote sat in a gap, an opening in the chaparral. 

Well I'm about to get UPSET
From watchin' my TV
Been checkin' out the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean they say that every day
Is just a rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friends
Is anybody's guess...

"I could taste that fat one, you know, right on my tongue. Dinner tonight; I haven't had one of those for four days now. Times are tough."

"Tough?" I quipped, while taking a seat on a boulder opposite the trail from where Coyote sat. "You paid a visit to the streets lately? They're on fire."

"Just the other day, as a matter of fact, and that's what I'm talkin' about," he responded.

Wednesday I watched the riot...
I seen the cops out on the street
Watched 'em throwin' rocks and stuff
And chokin' in the heat...

Seen the smoke and fire
And the market burnin' down
Watched while everybody
On his street would take a turn
To stomp and smash and bash and crash
And slash and bust and burn...

Coyote continued, "I mean, really, what is it with you people. You're gifted with the most capable, life-changing brains of any of the animals. For millennia I have watched you evolve, yet through it all you remain the most profoundly stupid of any. Will you ever learn?"

Well, I seen the fires burnin'...
And it's the same across the nation
Black & white discrimination
They're yellin' "you can't understand me!"
And all the other crap they hand me
In the papers and TV
'N all that mass stupidity
That seems to grow more every day
Each time you hear some nitwit say
He wants to go and do you in
Because the color of your skin
Just don't appeal to him...

"So what you're sayin'", I began... "What I'm sayin'", Coyote cut in, "is that you People keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. And over again. What's the point. You know, catching Quail is hard, those damn birds are impossibly skittish; knowing the difference between right and wrong - not hard at all."

Don't you know that this could start
On any street in any town
In any state if any clown
Decides that now's the time to fight...

There ain't no great society
As it applies to you and me
Our country isn't free
And the law refuses to see
If all that you can ever be
Is just some lousy janitor...
(Frank Zappa lyrics, Trouble Every Day)

Coyote's stomach growled, and he sighed again, a more quiet, distant sigh, as if his mind had traveled centuries away. "You know, I hung out with Zappa once. He was a weird dude; a little too weird for me, but man he could turn a few words, dredging up hundreds of years of pain and suffering, and ... Why? Why are they still relevant today?"

Coyote scratched his head as if pondering some matter of thought. "Huh..." Oh, a flea. They grow worse when it gets hot."

I had been watching a couple mountain bikers approaching from a distance. They rumbled up the trail and were just about to pass: It is always a bit awkward passing between two people engaged in conversation. Though they asked me if everything was okay, they didn't seem to notice Coyote who blended into the chaparral now that the sun had left his eyes. The toothy grin. long since turned to a somber, determined line.

"How long?" He repeated, rising from his seat, he stretched and turned away.

"I was really looking forward to that quail, you know."

good thing I can still bunny hop little things in my path. this guy was not going to move

even when I turned around and rolled right up to him

heading home

Comments