February Interlude: Sam Merrill Trail to the White City Ruins

Long had I heard of it, never had I been, but now the White City on Echo Mountain has been checked from the list. There are various ways to get to the extensive ruins, some long routes, others short, some with lots of climbing, others almost none. I chose the Sam Merrill Trail - a short distance route, but all climb. I have long associated the Sam Merrill with mountain biking, so expected to see quite a few, but no only two, and they didn't appear until I was nearly back down. Since I am pretty worn out now (a post-hike ride? Ha!) I am just going to let photos tell the rest of the story:

trailhead at the old Cobb Estate


had some shade in the morning



ferns

downtown Los Angeles in the distance

the Gumby Rock

that concrete column held the observatory telescope

all that remain of one of the Mount Lowe Railway engines

stone wall by the tennis courts...

now a nice picnic area

Finn always has to see what you're doing, so when I stuck this yucca frond in a hole in the picnic table, he had to check it out


the White City complex - there was even a zoo

ruins of Echo Mountain House

giving the Echo Phone a try

the Lovers' Seat, ruins of the Chalet

boarding area for the Rubio Canyon Incline



Comments

Post a Comment