Up the Road: Arroyo Fest 2023

 You know, I complain a lot to myself, but I don't like to do it much in public. I am going to make an exception now. By now you are all probably aware that there is something called ArroyoFest coming up at the end of the month and, if you're in to that sort of thing, by all means go and have fun. Personally, I can't think of anything less appealing than riding my bike along a freeway, you know those wide expanses of concrete lined with litter, covered with slivers of metal from worn radial tires, patches of oil, potholes and uneven pavement, seams in the concrete that will trip you up if you're not careful. I get the novelty of it all, but the so-called Arroyo Seco Parkway, is anything but the Parkway it was when it first opened.

Boring.

Personally, I think money would have been much better spent closing down Figueroa street where there are things to see, architecture, art, restaurants to patronize, parks where you can sit in the shade of great old sycamore trees.

If you want to go, go, have a good time in spite of me and prove me wrong.

PS: Lummis Day will be taking place at the same time - exit the freeway at Avenue 43 and go to Sycamore Grove Park and El Alisal. If you've never been to El Alisal, the former home of Charles Fletcher Lummis, you should, it is an amazing place. I was fortunate to visit in an official capacity, when Huel Howser was filming there, during my time of employment up the hill at Southwest Museum - in fact if you watch the California's Gold episode at the Lummis House you'll see me sitting in the corner (and later standing in the doorway) when Huel walks into the "music room" to listen to the museum's wax cylinders - my minute of fame, guarding the artifacts while wearing shorts and sandals with white socks, how embarrassing.

Alright, so maybe there is one interesting thing, just remember the freeway is only closed for four hours - between 7am and 11am, which does not give you a whole lot of time.



Comments