Ride in Peace, Tracy Wilkins

 Gee, I would like to hope this horrible news were not true, but I can't imagine that Mixed SOIL would share without some confirmation. When I started this blog as the Claremont Cyclist nearly thirteen years ago, Tracy was writing his own blog, called the Springfield Cyclist, out in Missouri. I was an avid reader from that point until he decided he had said all there was to say in a blog format. We became the typical FB friends after that and I continued to enjoy following along, vicariously, on his many rides around Missouri and the midwest. When the building bubble burst in my area in 2010 and I suffered a temporary layoff he offered words of encouragement. When I shared a photo, from many years earlier, of my son and myself standing in front of the minor league baseball stadium in Springfield, he said he wished he had known we had passed through his town. Several years ago I saw that he retired from his job, but also saw that he continued to revel in life, spending time with his wife, family, and especially with his grandson. I recognized his adventurous spirit, and marveled at his many rides, everything from local spins, to lengthier tours and bikepacking trips, something that he particularly seemed to love as of late.

I will gladly eat crow if this proves to be untrue, (it won't I just saw confirmation from Tracy's daughter) but as I said in the first line above...



and so, instead, I will regretfully express my condolences to Tracy's many friends; I am sure his presence and the camaraderie he provided on the many rides he shared with you all will be sorely missed, as well as to the family he clearly cared for more than anything else. The loss I feel as a fellow cyclist is incomparable to the loss felt by Tracy's family and everyday friends, but I shall miss his presence none the less. (photos from Mixed Soil and Tracy Wilkins' FB page)

Comments