Riding to CCA with The Local Bikestand


There would be no chance conversation with Red Hugh, not even an opportunity to spot him ducking into the brush up the trail a ways. No rattlers, no king snakes, no gopher snakes to stop and take portraits. The three crows that hang out up at the base of the dam in the evenings might have been there, but I wouldn't know. I wouldn't be riding through The Out There this night.

Early in the week, if you had asked me what the plans were for Friday, I would have replied Encino. The next Friday night races were taking place and I fully expected to be there under the new lights - I donated a few dollars to that cause, but have yet to experience the old track with its new lighting. 

But then the mrs. stopped in at the Local Bikestand where, it was suggested, we come out to the Friday night brewery ride. I was going to feign ignorance, pretend I didn't hear when she relayed the information to me. But then I saw Diana at the finish of the Wednesday Bud's Ride, and she said "you ought to come out to the brewery ride on Friday." Brewery ride, huh? I don't know nothing about that, I bald-faced lied. It was a blatant attempt to keep the Encino velodrome option alive.

Friday morning as I was leaving the garage, the mrs. emerged suddenly and, or so it seemed, out of nowhere and said, "don't forget, it's the Local Bikestand brewery ride tonight." And that was that, the final stake through the heart of Encino. I drowned my sorrows in office coffee the rest of the morning.

By the time it came to hustle over to the shop, where the the ride starts, I was still dwelling on what I might have otherwise been doing. But then we wheeled up to that roll down door where Greg and Diana were happy to see some more folks ready to join the fun, and all that dwelling just washed away. A couple more riders showed up to join the one who was already there - check your math now - and the seven of us rolled out for a short ride through La Verne, before doubling back and heading over to Claremont Craft Ales, where we were joined by three more people - one expected, two not - making for a party of ten. Conversation swirled around, bikes, bikepacking, the group that used to be known as SWAT, puppies, cats versus dogs, who the best math teacher was, bee keeping, etc. People got up to fetch another pint. People got up to fill their bellies with tacos and, when they came back, another round of conversation took off.

It was a terrific way to end the work week, get the weekend off to a fast start, spend some time with a group of my favorite people. The Local Bikestand's brewery ride is just a fun, informal gathering, starting with a social-paced ride, and ending at one of the local ale houses (keep in mind, it does not go back to the shop after).





Comments