Fake, Rattle and Roll


 Almost didn't see this guy in time to avoid him, and I was a little surprised that the close call and the rocks thrown in his face as I skidded my rear wheel around him didn't cause him to turn tail right then. In fact, that lack of moment at first caused me to believe someone had already been unable to avoid him. Instead, he waited as I turned around, dismounted and took a few close-ups. He was clearly no rattler and, though I have not seen many in the wild (and only this one in the Out There), my immediate guess, confirmed once I got home, was King Snake - the banding and colors, plus the un-viper-like head and, clearly, no rattle.

"Get out from that kitchen
And rattle those pots and pans
Get out from that kitchen...

I said shake rattle and roll,
I said shake rattle roll..."
(Stone & Calhoun)

The curious thing about him was that once he had decided he'd given me enough of his time (and, by then I suppose I was getting a little too close for his comfort) he began to shake his tail, or rather he began to shake the pointed end of his body, soundlessly mimicking a rattlesnake. While many species mimic other species as a means of self-defense, I had not heard of King Snakes doing this, so I had to check that once I got home as well. Turns out the Kings will shake their tails, and sometimes even "emit an unpleasant musk" to deter threats.

Anyway, it is now the weekend, so go, shake (don't fake), rattle and roll your way into it.


Comments