New Saddle Bag...


It has been years since I last use a saddle back on my bike. I just throw everything into my jersey's pockets and ride on. At the same time I have never liked how all that weight pulls down on the back of my jersey, neither while standing around nor riding along. So this past weekend I decided to give the old saddle bag a try again. I didn't want your run of the mill saddle bag and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on something so basic. With the knowledge that the local surplus store sells all kinds of bags and pouches I headed over to Pomona and found these cool little leather pouches. They are French military issue; the sign didn't specify what their previous use was, maybe ammo? Really, is there anything more cool than nice weathered leather?


They come in either brown leather, or black for anywhere between $3.00 and $7.00. A strap for another $2.00 rounded out the deal. It is not huge, but holds a repair kit, 2 CO2 cartridges and inflator valve, and my tire levers, and secures around the rails to fit nice and snug tucked up underneath the saddle. Now, what to do with that empty pocket?

Update: 5 April 2014 - I went back oh, probably a good four to six months ago now, and picked up a couple more pouches. They are more recent versions, so clearly they are still being made, same size, same design. I also found out their original intended purpose - they hold gun cleaning kits, a little metal flask for oil, a rod in two pieces which screws together, and a metal frame to hold those parts within. That last seems unnecessary, but whatever. I figure converting them to a new purpose is a fair adaptive reuse. Now all I need do is figure out a use for the flasks and rods, and how to get a centerlinerule logo sewn onto the leather pouch.

Comments

  1. Two week riding impressions. So how is this contraption of yours working out? Thumbs up, thumbs down. I am interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it is, it works fine. It is clearly not that big, so I still have to carry stuff in my pockets. But I'm alright with that. The only thing I don't like - the leather is pretty hard and it bangs up against the saddle on any good size bump in the road. It is pretty loud and anyone around might think my bike is about to fall apart. I think with some small tweaks to the design I can fix that. It's not enough to make me switch; i'll keep using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I was wondering about it. I may need to head down to M & I to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment