The Bin O' Death...

and other macabre treasures.



Then again, maybe I am overstating things a bit. It is not all useless stuff. 

I used to have my bins pretty well organized. There was the good-parts bin; all perfectly useable, some even brand new or lightly used. Things like components that had been replaced due to an upgrade, those extra helmet pads you always get and collect, or stuff I bought but never used, would abide in that bin. A step down from that was the Solyent Green bin containing all those parts that had become outdated, past their prime, maybe they never were good enough to be a starter. Stuff in this bin might never find their way back onto a bike of mine, but someone, somewhere would find them useful. How do I know this? I took a bin of these parts to a bike swap once, and it took only a few moments to be cleaned out. Then there was the true bin of death; only the most useless, broken, rusted, maybe even fetid things would be thrown into this bin. An artist who creates with throw-away objects might have been enraptured by this coffin-like container, but rarely would anything reemerge from it with a more functional purpose. 

There are just two bins now, unorganized and near to overflowing. The good mixed with the bad. It's chaotic. It's frustrating. Looking for something yesterday, I just dumped everything onto the garage floor. When the search proved fruitless, everything was just tossed back together. Chaos again. What is your method of storage?

Comments

  1. Speaking of "Bin of Death", watch out for that ol' Control Tech stem. It just might be a ticket to the clavicle club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unorganized and Near Overflowing: I got those two bins too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, I was really gambling with that one for a while. I continued using it long after the recall. When was that the mid-90's, or was it later.
    Jason, I guess I need to talk to Dale (the Velo) about the bike swap again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck, Michael, I didn't even know there was a recall on those Control Tech stems! I was using one until recently- until my buddy's broke, and I decided to toss mine in my Bin O' Death.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment