No Way Buddy

 It may be hard to tell since green still does predominate the slopes, but those slender stems of grass are busy sucking up the color of the earth in which they are rooted. They will be hollow straws soon enough and it seems as though it will be a long dry after that; I feel it in my bones. Heading down the trail now would not change that outcome, nor even delay it, so down I went slowing for the last twenty-five feet as a nimble-legged, green-backed lizard ran, rather slowly, directly ahead of my front wheel; I would like to have finished the run with some speed, but he had other plans - "no way buddy, just slow it down." Alright then, I couldn't mind too much as it allowed me to focus on some patches of bright orange, the California Poppies still showing off.

I was thinking of a song anyway -  Run to the Hills - the title appropriate, even if the lyrics are tragic and certainly not in keeping with this ride:

"... Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom the stab in the back
Women and children are coward, attack

Run to the hills
Run for your lives ..."
(Harris)

Then again, what was Lizard thinking... hmmm.

Well, no time to ponder such thoughts today, off to Dun Eire where I can find some shade and chow down on a couple dates I found in my pocket, and... wait a minute, what the heck, a couple hiking up from the other side. I've never seen that before; usually the peds stick to the dirt roads - they're all over the hills today. Not even in this fortress of solitude is there solitude today.

Well, alright then time to head down anyway, along Powerline where I find Rattlesnake laying across the path - he had a rather pathetic set of rattles, but he used what he did have to great effect, letting me know how he felt about moving from that nice sunny spot. Tough, I say, I've a beer waiting at home and a nice spot of my own on the patio - Nectarine Ale eh, it has been a long time between store-bought beers, so we'll see.

Hey, a late reminder, but it is Friday Night Bikes at The Local Bikestand tonight - I hear there'll be cake for Scott's birthday - Yay!

@ Dun Eire

i've seen quite a few rattlers along Powerline - this one's got some girth, but is kinda short

top of the trail


turnin' brown

monkey flower

california poppy

bottom of the trail

Dun Eire

not quite as spectacular as John T's recent setting, but mine has beer

Comments