Its Own Reward

 So I got my patch from all that evening riding I did between November and the end of February. Actually it arrived last week, but there has been other stuff to do and write about. 


I've ridden through the dark months every year since 1992, maybe '93. When those indoor trainers are an unappealing, unacceptable option what else are ya goin' to do? Keeping a certain, even if lower, level of fitness and hoping that would translate into an advantage in early season races was always its own reward. These days, any amount of fitness I can keep through to the end of winter is a plus; why start over if you don't need to? Besides, do any of us really need any extra excuse to be out on two wheels? No, it is its own reward. So even though I would have ridden those cold, dark miles anyway, and for its own reward, it was nice to find this little extra arriving in the mail.

Anyway, thanks to Shawn of the Urban Adventure League for hosting the challenge (I understand 120 people registered and 75 finished) - another six months or so and we can do another.

Comments