Neighborhood Bike Dad to the Rescue

Last weekend was kind of busy with bikes around here. Not only my own, but others as well.

First came the chain. "Honey, would you help our neighbor fix the chain on her bike? Her dad is the police officer and..." I don't recall what came next in the appeal, but I was moving. Not due to the police-officer-as-father part, but because there was a kid out there who, for whatever reason, was unable to ride her bike. So, neighborhood bike dad sprung off the couch and into action. Strolling over to their garage I found the disabled bike upside down, in tripod fashion, resting on three points, handlebars and seat. A quick appraisal of the situation confirmed that the bike was indeed unridable, the chain having slipped off the high gear cog and become wedged between freewheel and spokes. All attempts to free it by hand failed, and since I couldn't get all frustrated and curse and pick up the bike and throw it back to the ground in the hopes that would jolt the thing free, there was only one thing left to do - call the Local Bikestand. No, not really, although that would have worked too; instead, I jogged on back home, dug out my chain breaker, and got the job done.

I saw that kid, and her brother, riding later that afternoon.

A couple hours later I had settled in, was chowing down on some pizza, when another neighbor, a different neighbor, comes up to the patio, wondering if I might have some spare pedals for the bike of a friend of hers. Hmmm? Next thing I know there is an older steel mountain bike leaning up against the patio table, and sure enough it is pedal-less. Out to the garage, dump out one of the parts bins which, fortunately, turned out to be the right one, containing four pairs. A quick assessment of the situation and I decided the bike was not worth any of the metal-bodied pedals, but lo these plastic ones ought to work just fine. This may prove to be just the beginning with that bike, however, as the next day, "honey, rider wants to know if you can raise the saddle..."

Apparently those pedals did work out just fine, but I am still awaiting that second adjustment. Since I am home more frequently now, and for the foreseeable Covid-19 / safer at home future, I find myself wondering what next weekend will bring?



Comments

  1. Word gets around if you are adept at fixing bikes. We've had our share of helping neighbors get bikes running, but not lately. Thank you for your kindness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has happened a few times in the past. I can't imagine ever tiring of helping out.

      Delete

Post a Comment