It's the Weekend: The Little Passage Tombs of Bonelli


That's right, the weekend. And, that's right, little passage tombs. I mean, I don't know what else to make of them. Reaching the high point of the Upper Beehive Trail, and moving my eyes away from the lake view, I noticed a pile of rocks, that flat sandstone shale that flakes away from the earth and litters the hilltop there. At first I thought someone had built an illegal fire ring. But this was not just any pile of rocks, there was method to this pile. Laying the bike down, I studied the pile, considered it from straight up above looking down, took about five steps to walk around the pile, studying it from multiple vantage points, and I got down low for an even closer look. By that point I had already decided what they were (I had also decided there were two distinct piles adjacent to one another) - these were decent replicas of what I had seen in Ireland - these were little passage tombs, collapsed ones mind you, but still, obvious in their construction.

lottsa ducks on the little hilltop reservoir

yet another one of those trails commonly known as Fenceline

Baldy view

Baldy view

wall of cacti along the Upper Beehive Trail


There is stuff to see when you leave the motor behind, venture out to places you can only reach under your own power, surprising stuff, strange stuff, beautiful stuff, curious stuff, interesting stuff. Get on out there and find some of that stuff.

Comments