Seen While Riding: Anyone Lose a Propeller?

 I could be wrong; I mean it is certainly not an area of expertise, or even moderate familiarity really but, by and large, the photos I have seen of paraplanes suggest that the propellers don't usually have nose cones. Thanks to a partially intact sticker, I looked up Tennessee Propellers, Inc. They are out of business since the end of 2019; photos on the website, however, suggest either a Standard UL blade shape, or a paraplane blade shape. I suppose if I could get the nose cone off it would allow me to see how many bolt holes there are - four for paraplane, or six for standard UL and I could have something like a definitive answer - paraplane or airplane?


I was going to content myself with posting a bunch of photos from the morning ride - on Facebook, no blog post; I just didn't feel like composing anything today, and anyway it was just an average,  run of the mill, nothing unusual ride. But then, as I was riding the last little bit of dirt road, the road that would be Miramar if Miramar went through, I saw something. What I saw wasn't Coyote, although he had just run across the way right here and I was going slow looking for him. I realized that I am normally going fast at this point, and that was probably why I never noticed the red before. Curiosity got the best of me and, forgetting about Coyote, I went over to satisfy it. As I got closer I realized the red metal was only part of what I saw; there was finished wood too, red-tipped. Holy moly, it's a propeller. I tried to recall any recent plane crashes at Cable Airport just across the way to the southeast. It seemed like there had maybe been a couple, but couldn't remember specifics. There was one in June 2020, there was one in August 2012, there was one in September 2018, May 2019, November 2019; none of those seemed to be quite in this area though.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about who this might belong to let me know. I didn't haul the danged thing out, but I did move it a few feet further out of view, just in case the FAA contacts me and wants to collect it.

little fire pit; rocks aren't blackened, so guess it was never used

anyone attempt this passage to the west side road lately, looks like the trail is closed for the season

boulderland

photo does not do it justice - that is a massive wall of boulders

violet couch anyone?

few flowers are as dependable year after year

penstemon

maybe an air vent, definitely deep

bloomin'


the wide open

coyote and kin rest here

in situ

tennessee propellers, inc

The things we see when we get out and ride, eh?

Comments