Bike to Work Day 2021


 
I don't know why they designate Friday for the day. Maybe it is the whole weekend thing, and riding to work on a Friday makes it seem like the weekend has arrived a day early? Whatever the case, and if you didn't know, today was Bike to Work Day, the one day a year to celebrate our favored way of getting to work, and even if we do it far too infrequently. For various reasons, I haven't participated in a Bike to Work Day since... oh, since about 2015 - more than a few years ago. I must admit, it was actually very pleasant - a sunny, blue sky, patched by big non-threatening clouds, not too hot, not too cold. I thought, why not; conditions are not going to be any more perfect

Actually, no. My reasons were mostly a little more selfish - I knew a coworker was going to ride in and I couldn't let him show me up - AGAIN! 

As it turned out the new guy in the office also brought his bike (he lives too far away commute on it) and wanted to check out the Pacific Electric Trail. When the quiting bell rang out at noon, the three of us wheeled bikes out the door. I had planned a route that would allow us to ride the new sections of class one bike path that the city of Rancho Cucamonga has built along the concrete stream channels between the Ontario border and Route 66 Trailhead Park on Foothill Boulevard. I was pleasantly surprise to discover more sections than I realized; there are plenty of mid-block street crossings, but even at the noon hour, they weren't much problem at all.

From there it was just your standard headwind ride back to Claremont on the PET, a stop to see Dale at the Worlds Smallest Bike Shop (separate post coming up), and then up the street for home. Not only did I get my Friday half-day at work, but I got my fill of riding, and was able to eat, guilt-free, two portions of baked goods from Porto's while at the office. Success! 

Have a good weekend all ya'll!

looking into the sun funny face


little did I know that put the bike path on the other side...

the work stretch - Deer Creek Channel between 6th and 4th Streets...

through the gap in the fence...

and in the office

Deer Creek Channel bike path between 6th and 8th Streets

Cucamonga Creek Channel @ 9th Street

Cucamonga Creek Channel bike path between 9th and Foothill



through Upland

bike path colors

while I split off to ride the dirt detour around the burnt bridge, John suffered a falling over boo-boo

Comments