Bikeshop Candids: The Local Bikestand


 I know, you all know and love The Local Bikestands' mobile service - it is how they started, and likely still is how they are best known. I can only guess that everyone, by now, knows that the guys have also opened up a shop as well. If not, it is a cool little space right on the Citrus Regional Bikeway (aka, Bonita Avenue) in Pomona, just west of Towne. They just raise the roll up door to let the air in, and get down to the business of fixing peoples' bikes. They have done repairs on various bikes in the household, ordered parts for me when I've needed them, and have built me a new set of wheels for the Ibis - they know their stuff; both Greg and Scott were mechanics at the old Coates Bicycle Shop.

Anyway, I had been to the shop once before - during a Friday Night Bikes - but had forgotten to bring a camera. Saturday afternoon's bike swap meet seemed like a good opportunity (and good excuse) to head back for some photos, and I got to witness the guys doing some of what they do each day; there is the exciting stuff, like talking busted derailleur hangers and loose cassettes, and there is the mundane, like taking out the trash. It is all in a day's work and, while I try not to play favorites when it comes to talking about the local bike shop options that are available, Scott and Greg have been in the business for a good long while and know their stuff. Bonus: You can purchase, or order a custom, catonabike bike bags (hand made by Diana) while you are there.






As for that bike swap, there were plenty of goods to go around; at least one person went home with a new mountain bike, though most sales seemed to be smaller stuff. No surprise there. Jerseys, components, saddles, tires, wheels, high end bikes, low end bikes, vintage, new. I didn't get my act together to reserve a sellers' space, but there has been word that another meet will take place later in the year. Beyond that, though, it was good to see some folks I had not seen in a good long while, meet some people I had never seen before, share a little conversation, mutually look forward to the resumption of some of the local group rides and collaborations.








Comments