Coyote of Yuccafeller Plaza: A Clever Thing To Do

 "It got to the point where traffic was non-stop. As long as the sun was up, lookeeloos were passing by." Traffic? Non-stop? Along a dirt trail? I had my doubts, believing Coyote was exaggerating things again. "I couldn't take it anymore. I had to move..."


It was just the first of the evening loops, a little early for Coyote to be out, yet there he was and trailing little brother. I guessed he wanted to be seen, and kept looking back as each pedal stroke brought me closer. The little one was first to swerve off into the brush, but after a short delay Coyote followed suit and disappeared as well. I noted the spot and, reaching it a few seconds later, stopped, peering into the shrubs and shadows, listening for any movement. There was no sound, nothing to see.

Just up the way a couple, on the other side of the channel gave a few well placed strikes with a hammer against a rock in the ground. Weird, I thought, and then returning to where Coyote had disappeared, well, if that's the way it is then fine. I'll just keep riding, loud enough for Coyote to hear. "Weird," the couple muttered to one another, and went back to their hammering.

I finished up that first lap and was half-way through the second, just starting the long down hill to take me back to the point of entry. There, again, was Coyote. My speed may have been greater but the routine was the same - trot a little, look back, trot a little more, look back, jump off the trail into the brush. I stopped again - it is his little game, you know, he never really goes very far, just sits and waits for you to go past, thinking it a clever thing to do. I looked into the shadows between the shrubs where... yes, something just there didn't look right. 

Is that you Coyote? You blend in. I almost missed you. I was going to say, you can't hide from me, but thought it better to appeal to his ego. What are you doing way up here, so far from home? Hoping he'd be willing to talk.

He kept to the cover of shrubs but began his complaint, "...I had to move." He doesn't like when I get the camera out, it is usually his cue to hightail it away, so I tried to be inconspicuous as he continued. "Yup, ever since you wrote that I Know Where You Live stuff people would keep walking by, riding past, looking for Me. I'd just be out on my patio, enjoying the quiet, listening to Bird, daring Lizard to come just a little closer, watching the sun set before making my rounds, and here would come another, wanting a picture with Me. It was just no good anymore. I had to move."

Well, I hope you smiled, I regretted it before I even finished the sentence. I was still fumbling with the camera and Coyote made a move to leave, but then stopped again.

"Oh, I smiled all right," he growled, electricity reaching across the distance between us. "A big smile. I waited until just the exact moment, watched them frame themselves, adjust their hair, and right as their thumb twitched over the button, I'd whirl around, lift my tail, and give 'em a great big smile. If you know what I mean." He chuckled at the thought.

Thinking it was my chance I pressed the power button, brought the camera up from behind my back and clicked the shutter. I got you again, Coyote, and I looked at the screen - black. Ugggggh! It didn't turn on. Damnit! By then Coyote was, of course, gone and there would be no second chance no matter how hard I might peer into the shadows.

Yuccas are easy to get photos of, Coyote not so much. And even when you do succeed, it might not be the one you want. Be careful with what you wish for and, maybe this week, give Coyote a little space, little peace and quiet. 

he's there, just down the road, but this is as good as I could manage on this evening






these thistle are different than the thistle of Bonelli Park


i wonder what makes them undesirable?

i tried rolling my bike toward this little guy, prodding him with a long stick, rustling the grass around him - nothing was going to get him moving until the sun broke through the clouds

Comments