Showing Up

 I am exhausted. If the mrs. were not sitting at the other end of the couch, I would lie down, watch the game and put this off until later. I am exhausted, but then I seem to recall feeling that way when I woke this morning. They say that showing up is half the battle; well, thanks to the morning cuppa, I did that much anyway, but it didn't take long to realize that the legs just were not committed to the action. Something else was going to need to take over, if this ride was going to go anywhere. Making it up to the base of the dam there was a runner, going my way -  I'll show him up, get to the top first. I did; my legs didn't get me there, dumb pride did. Maybe I'll go up as far as Shinn Road and then turn down Mountain. When I got up to Shinn there were people around and I couldn't convince myself to simply turn downhill.  Well, I'll show them; I'll just keep a goin' up this trail - walking of course, 'cause it was uber rocky at that point. A little further along I came upon a family playing by the water. Well, I'll show them, I thought to myself, and I got up on the bike and started ridin'. I rode along for a little while, past the old wrecks, to where the trail got all rocky again. I might have been pushin' the bike then, but I still caught up to a slower movin' couple who shuffled off to the side to let me pass. I'll show them, even pushing this here bike, I'll gap 'em, I thought to myself. I did, and soon after reached that first section of the old road. I considered that a success because, you know, I had been exhausted for three hours now. A little further along I reached the next section of old road and started to ride again; loosing my balance, though, a branch thought to examine the inside of my head via the nearest opening -  my left ear. I can still hear out of it, so I guess it's okay, but it sure the heck hurt. Anyway, I made it up to those big concrete walls where I suddenly realized what they were - the buttresses of a bridge. I also realized that the old road must have crossed over the stream at this point and, if I crossed, I might find the next section of it. Sure enough, there it was. I rode along it until the next wash-out where I realized there wasn't anyone else around to show up. And, still exhausted, turned around for home.

Sometimes showing up gets you going, sometimes showing (someone) up keeps you going. Both worked for me today, when the legs refused.

homeward bound

9:30am, already over 80º, think I'll stop in this shade for a bit

name that peak

Spruce Canyon with. the KDOC tv antenna at the head, way up in the distance

the old road

a couple nice pools

the old road

end of the line

square rebar, and lots of it

end of the line, a different perspective

Comments