Potato Soup

 It was about month ago now, somewhere at the beginning of November, when I noticed the hillside grasses, up in the Wilderness Park, had finally lain down for the season, a cozy blanket for the seed buried beneath. At that time, the elderberry had, mostly, lost their leaves yet today, a full month later there are places up there where the deciduous trees are still frocked in green and yellow - big trees with. big leaves, deep in the canyons. 


I gotta tell you, it was rather chilly up there, even in the afternoon; luckily there is always that initial uphill to ease the bite of cold air. Wait, did I really say "initial uphill?" It is pretty much all uphill until you reach whatever high point you are going to reach, at that point pull up the arm warmers, zip up the vest and race the onset of shivers back down. Today, the high point meant the Potato Mountain saddle; it was one of those, well i've reach Little Palmer Canyon, I might as well go on, then well I've reached the head of Palmer Canyon, might as well go for the saddle. Though I really need to do it before the end of the year, there was not going to be any Potato salad, er, make that Potato summit today; I noticed I was not the only one to forgo the final, little bit of climb but, come on, if you're going to the trouble of packing a spud you gotta get it all the way to the top.

The views across the valley were not the best, a soupy haze of low clouds filling the bowl. That got me to thinking a nice hot bowl of potato soup would warm things back up, but when I got back home there was none in sight. Next time maybe plan ahead.

Anyway, it's the weekend now, and it looks like it is packing a couple days of good riding - get out there and enjoy it.





Sunset - the peak 

so close, yet so far, eh little spud?

peaks

Little Palmer Canyon

Comments