Back to Bonelli

 Six months. Almost to the day, six months since last I rode any mountain bike at Bonelli Park. It wasn't the covid mind you, it was that fence barring the way. Well, what are you going to do? Find another place, of course. Six months ago I turned my attention back to the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park, and to the Spreading Grounds - I didn't mind; there is a simple pleasure from just riding out the door, no driving necessary. 

Anyway, with the Wilderness Park closed (yet again - frowny-face emoji) ostensibly due to another Red Flag warning, my usual Friday afternoon option was not available. Although I am still not sure why - was there any push of breeze to move the air? I didn't notice any in the morning when I left for work, and I didn't notice any when I arrived back home. Maybe we need a more localized Red Flag alert system?

Anyway, six months on, that climb up from the air field is just as rocky as ever, the trails just as dusty, the water and sky just as blue; the Christians seem to have taken control of Pagan Hill - that is rather troubling, but I do like the colorful painted rocks that have been added to the usual heart and message at the summit. Speaking of the trails it seems as if most have become pedestrianized over the past half year. For instance, that one up Fatt Hill is smooth as silk. I'm pretty sure I hit up all the old familiar summits during my zig-zag route around the park - and by the way, there is something to be said for following your nose rather than a set route sometimes; even so, I'll be glad if we can avoid another Red Flag closure next weekend, there have been far too many this year, and a third consecutive weekend might just push me over the edge and onto the road bike.

Have a righteous weekend.





Pagan Hill





see what I mean - barely a bump in sight, let alone a anything like a gully

blue on blue

green on green


Comments