Suspended

 I was maybe a quarter way through the first lap (and, as it turned out the only lap) when I noticed yon distant ridge had reached up and plucked the sun from the sky. Meanwhile, on the other side of that same sky, someone had strung the moon between two wires; swinging back and forth in a breeze, the razor edge had sliced more than half of it away. I don't know where the piece fell. The autumn equinox was going to be a light night, as I knew it would be, and I brought the big one out in response. The later we have got into the year, the more I have looked forward to this evening, when the way forward through the Spreading Grounds would only be lit by the beam of my headlight; I was curious what, and how much, wildlife could be captured in the glow - a lot of rabbits and quail, a lone dove that tried to knock the camera out of my hand as I held it high, and some kind of territorial flyer that reminded me of a mockingbird, but nothing else. 





Comments