Freak Out

 I thought I heard singing, and so I stopped to listen, attempting to pick out the words:

"...Driving through the Bible Belt
Billboards claiming how Jesus felt
Oh, how'd his words confuse themselves?
With cranks for christians in powerful positions
I've always felt like all their pomp and circumstance
is just cover for the devil to dance
To these sing-alongs and siren songs
To ooh's to ahh's
To big applause
Will all my anger I scream and shout
America, I love you but you're freaking me out
America, your freaking me out
Will all my anger I shout
Can't you recognize truth from clever lies?"
(May, Godino, Barnett & Keen the Menzingers)

The evening ride was fabulous, calming, in the changing light. It wasn't enough to ease the sense of foreboding that covers the land; far too many people seem to have abandoned any pretense of common decency toward their fellow humans, throwing themselves in with a leader [?] whose sense of indecency appears to be unbounded. Neither morals, nor a simple understanding of the concept of right and wrong, constrain his ego and spreads to those to whom his empty words and promises corrupt and deceive.

"Do you realize there are people who believe that Breonna Taylor got what she deserved? How's that for human compassion?" I had not realized the singing had stopped, nor that Coyote, and his musings, had crept out of cover and over to where I stood immersed in the twilight. "I think maybe they're blinded by that hood over their heads," he continued while staring up at the moon. "And how about that 'little boy' that went looking for trouble, found it, provoked a confrontation, and ended up shooting people. Now there are those calling him a hero. What the fuck is that? You americans have turned into one messed up bunch. I like you, though, I just hope you get yourselves a new leader to get the house in order."

Is that an endorsement for Biden? I asked, as Coyote began to scamper away. I didn't really expect the old trickster to answer and he didn't. But, as he disappeared into the chaparral, I couldn't help but notice his tail flick up high and straight as I finished the question.

I titled tonights ride on Relive "Sundown at Two Snake" because... well, two snakes at sunset. Long, low Sally was first. As my sudden stop scattered little pebbles her way, she got all mad and shook her rattles at me...

she looks mad, huh?

anyway, next was this cute, real tiny one. i was afraid i had run over its head but, thankfully, i must have just missed. a stubborn little dude, liked his spot in the road, even when i tried nudging him out of the way with my front wheel

Comments