Bikes on Film: Enola Holmes


I guess sometime in the past, somewhere along the way, I knew Sherlock Holmes had a sister named Enola, but until just the other night it is not any matter I gave thought to. Anyway, since a primary theme of the recently released movie Enola Holmes, is the women's suffrage movement, it should be no surprise that the humble bicycle is right there, carrying Enola on her journey. Let's not forget Susan B. Anthony's oft noted quote: "Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world."

Lets also not forget that it was the bicycle that allowed Enola her initial escape (from her overbearing brother, Mycroft).

The bicycle - the freedom machine.

The question is, how authentic is that old upright bicycle? My answer is, I don't know. Hollywood has gotten pretty good at making things look old, and modern reproductions can be quite authentic to begin with. I imagine that, eventually, someone with a better view of the thing, better than my view of the tv from the living room couch will come along and point out this or that flaw Or maybe not. Maybe just accept it for what it is, a period piece intended to convey a certain image.

The bicycle - the freedom machine.

Comments

  1. I just saw that movie and loved it! And yes, I'm always tickled to see actors riding old style bikes. The Netflix Series, Call the Midwife also features women riding 1950's bicycles as their primary transportation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment