Angalls Canyon Recon: The Four Birds Ride

I am dead. Well, maybe only half dead since I seem to be compos mentis enough to write. I think. Maybe I'm imagining writing...


The ride was not that long -  twenty-six miles is all, and though Relive's accumulated elevation assessment of 5300 feet is pretty impressive for a ride of that length, I think it a bit overly optimistic [ie. wrong]. I think it was reaching the century mark that did me in - one hundred degrees, as in fahrenheit, that did the deed. I think the weather forecasts predicting low 90s were a bit overly optimistic as well [ie. wrong].

But that would be three hours later. At 9:00 in the morning it looked like a fine day for a spin back out to Angalls Canyon to see where it would take me. Though I seemed a bit more lethargic than normal, I figured things would shake out once I hit dirt and, when I caught a familiar Lapierre rider before entering the spreading grounds, I took it as another sign of a good morning to come.

Bummer; I can find no information on who the "Angalls" was / were to be able to leave his / her name on the map at this spot. They picked a nice place, though, especially down in the oak-shaded bottom; if only there had been a stream flowing I would have stopped for lunch, or least ways as much lunch as a coffee Clif Bar, picked up at the Competitive Edge, provides.

As for that whole recon thing, well, it only went so far before I ran into the, seemingly, inevitable No Trespassing sign. You know, over at the coast land owners cannot block public access to beaches; just thinkin' out loud, but maybe we need the same thing for mountain access.

the familiar summer pall cloaking the valley


the sandy [and rocky] trail down the Cucamonga wash


so full of promise at the start


hmmm, what's this little side trail all about?


headed up the main Angalls Canyon route


more up


bird one - see the little guy; i saw him flying along from right to left and waited for him to enter the frame


view back down into the valley


bird two - Turkey Vulture


bird three - dagnabit with your signs. well maybe i'll just go back down and check...


that little side trail


nice shady oak canopy


bird four at the end of the little side trail


big oaks and poison oaks


lots of friendly equestrians out today along the Demens Creek Trail, and in Angalls Canyon, in fact, here come a couple along Demens now


centerline, of sorts.


Finally, I forgot to press start until... you guessed it - Three Miles In

Comments