January RAP: Welcome

If it is the first Saturday of the month, it must be time to Ride Around Pomona. Todays ride had no theme - I suppose ride leader, Marcus, who designs floats for the Rose Parade, is pretty done with "themes" by the time January rolls around. That does not mean the ride was directionless, or lacking in interest. In fact it rolled along streets that I had not ridden on before, through the city, through (seemingly) rural countryside, and culminating at an overlook with a great view across the metropolis to the still snow-capped San Gabriel mountains. 

Though there may not have been an official theme to the ride, it didn't take me long to find and un-official theme - Welcome. It was right there on the sidewalk, I discovered, as the Gathering took place. It was right there in the rays of the morning sun that I sought out to stave off the chill. It was right there, in cut-out wooden letters, at the overlook two-thirds through the ride. It was right there the faces, some familiar, others new, of my fellow riders. It was right there, at the end of the ride, in the mug of mocha Mexicano and the sweet apple filling of a warm empanada. Thanks to everyone who came out who made it a welcoming way to begin another year of Ride Around Pomona.

Welcome 2020. Welcome to the first RAP of the year, Welcome to the first RAP of a new decade.

 the Gathering

Kind of chilly morning, but John (I think I remember his name being John), as always, riding the flip-flops

still gathering

almost all gathered

no Eric, so who is going to take the group photo?

usual line-up of suspects

on the road...

again

getting kind of rural looking. are we still in Pomona?

big trees

the old farmstead

climbing...

climbing...
  
truth in advertising. with a little more elevation gain it might have been a hill. as it was...
just a hump

to the view

the view with color

welcome

"Believe. Dreams do come true."


 hey, Stephanie


back at the plaza - couple announcements - the WoW Vegan Foodie Ride, and the Golden Panda Buffet Ride

in memorium at Mi cafecito



it was not until I put them on this morning that I realized my new Team Dream socks were intended to be sold as a mis-matched pair. I kind of like it - good conversation starter if nothing else.

Comments

Post a Comment