Mr. Johnson's Pasture


When I first moved out here to Claremont, and I apologize in advance if you have already heard this part of the story, I used to ride the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park before those last two words were added, back when the area was just the hills of Claremont. I would do the usual loop two, maybe three, times a night after work, two or three nights a week and then on the weekend again for good measure. I might throw down in Marshall Canyon, or add some of the climb along the Palmer-Evey to mix it up, but there was not a lot of deviation from the standard loop.  I took a long time to "discover" Johnson's Pasture, but once I did, tacking that out-and-back onto the loop became the new standard. To this day it remains my favorite part of the CHWP; it is more quiet, the fitness walkers tend to keep to the loop because it is a loop, and quiet places are the type of places I tend to seek out when riding solo. Johnson's Pasture still provides time and space to think without interference, and...

"I know, i know 'call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye,' but, well maybe those mountain lion sighting signs will discourage too many loop-strayers. 

[A neighbor of mine is from the Johnson family, that Johnson family, the Johnson family that owned quite a bit of land around here, including that pasture in the hills. She grew up in one of the old stone houses that is still standing. - Keep that part on hold as I just received some contradictory information; I will need a good sleuthing hat for this.] As cool as that is, what is even more cool is that all that land, those hills, hollows, the great views, the quiet spaces are preserved for us all to enjoy.

Have a great three day weekend folks (assuming you get one); I've got some riding planned, hope you get some in too.








Comments