Girlz Gone Riding Birthday Bash

"And it's the GGR ride at 9:00..." She kind of left the sentence hanging there, the implication being that was what she wanted to do. I had fallen asleep the night before expecting the day would follow a different path but, hey, the GGR rides we have done in the past have always been fun so, yeah, why not. Sure it was a last minute change of plans, but I have had success with that method of day-tripping in the past. Let's do it.

While we could see the smoke from the massive fire way out to the west, its foulness would not reach us until later in the afternoon, so the morning was truly a spectacular one and the park was packed with pedalers. Beside the Inland Empire Chapter of Girlz Gone Riding, who were celebrating their birthday, there was a group from REI, and the Claremont High School Mountain Bike Team; Kurt was there, having gotten a late start to the day, as well as untold numbers of others. Now that I think about it, what I thought to be smoke later in the day, may very well have been the dust raised by all the passing wheels. 

I guess I could come up with some long-winded way to say what I want to, but at the end of it all, however long the post might have become, there are only seven words strung together that would have mattered - these girlz just wanted to have fun. Nothing unusual in that; it could be their motto. This birthday ride has kind of become my annual male-in-the-midst opportunity to promote Girlz Gone Riding and their worthy mission of bringing more women into cycling. If you have ever been interested in mountain biking but have been apprehensive about it, I would encourage you to check out the Girlz; they host rides for everyone from novices and beginners to intermediate and advanced. The Inland Empire chapter hosts a monthly beginners' ride right here at Bonelli Park. If you're meant to do it, there is little doubt that you'll be hooked.



cheering on the team from Claremont High School as they start their own ride...


and then we're off...


up from the stream crossing...

curb hop...


Janette is easily among the most enthusiastic mountain biking Girlz I know...

yup, at Bonelli

when i got my first auto-focus camera, so long ago, i thought "now, no more missed shots." I guess i could have been trying for a shot of the new ride...


off the log drop...



San Gabriel Mountains panorama with Girlz




standing on rocks...




raffle time...






That's it. Thanks Girlz, for letting me tag along again.

Comments