Fuhgeddaboudit

Say it as if you are all out of breath, on the ragged end: "You... know... that's against... the law... right? Ever since he who... must not be named... became... someone's President... you... can't demoralize old folks... on... mountain bikes... anymore." They, those young gun runners who wanted to pass me as we climbed Burbank Canyon, thought it was funny. They thought I was joking. Oh well, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. So I laughed too.

What was funny, in a pathetic kind of way was that, while I don't consider myself old, for a second time this week I had left home for my Friday afternoon ride without some essential item - in this case, my helmet. This moment of forgetfulness forced me to change ride plans -  Bonelli was out (I certainly was not going to drive back again). While all kind of curses ricocheted around in my head, bouncing off one side of my skull, then caroming off the other, a thought crept in, undetected - STOP, it said. What about the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park? it asked. Yeah, I haven't been up there since June of last year - I didn't actually know the date, but I did know it had been a long time. So it was a change of plans.

You know something? I had almost forgotten how pleasant it is to just hop on the mountain bike, ride out the front door, and be in the mountains a few minutes later. No driving involved. The Wilderness Park is a big jewel in the city's crown.


And damn, if it wasn't gorgeous up there - almost like old times. It was quiet, peaceful, serene; no hordes. Even the deer were encouraged to be out on the road in Burbank Canyon; I was convinced the herd had been driven out of the Park years ago, but no, there they were, or three of them at least, running down the hillside at my approach. I got to pay visits to many if not most of my old favorite haunts up there - Point of Pines, La Verne Peak, Lone Oak Hill, Top 'o Webb, Leaping Leprechaun, Coyote Howl Point...


hard not to smile at Point of Pines

lines in the sky

twin peaks

new bike, or not, still not going down that way

Leaping Leprechaun


silver sliver of Puddingstone Reservoir

hello down there

moment of reflection at Coyote Howl Point


So Bonelli didn't work out today. You know, when one door closes another opens. In the wise words of Monty Python

"Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And...

Always look on the bright side of life..."

On with the weekend - murals, MoVal Cyclocross, Latino art at Maloof...and?

Comments