Riding on Ceramics...

Gotcha. I'm not talking about ceramic wheels, or bearings. What I am referring to are ceramics of a more classically artistic origin. I was in Pomona the other evening during the 2nd Saturday Art Walk and payed a planned visit to the American Museum of Ceramic Art (AMOCA). The son had an opportunity to earn some extra credit in his German class by checking out the new exhibition on German Mettlach Ware. I knew there was a bicycle exhibit over on 2nd Street that I wanted to see, but what I didn't know was that I would instead, get my fill at the AMOCA. The exhibit title refers to a collection of steins, vases, plaques, punch bowls, platters, etc, made circa 1900 at the Villeroy & Boch factory in Mettlach, Germany.








If you are a connoisseur of art in general, or ceramic art in particular and are in the area, this exhibit is well worth the time and $5.00 entry fee (or if you time things right there are some free days coming up). Much of what is on display is simply spectacular, but naturally, the bicycle-themed plates and steins held my attention the longest. The photos I took do not do the colors justice; those used on the first plate shown below, in particular, are incredibly vivid and almost create a sense of participation in the scene.

Comments