The May RAP: Crashed on My Feet

First Saturday, as always, means it was Ride Around Pomona time. "Wait," you say. "Ride seems to be one of the two key words there, what do you mean crashed on my feet." Yeah, exactly. While the ride itself was its typical uneventful history tour, it was what came afterward that provided the one bit of drama on the day. Damnit anyway, it came at my expense. 


You know those steel plates you sometimes see covering vaults that are located under sidewalks. Usually they are not a problem, but when they are not installed, or maintained, properly they can become a serious hazard to a persons' well-being. Take, for example this one on Main Street, between First and Second, in Pomona. As we were walking over to check out the VeloFix van, following the morning's ride, I stepped on one side which immediately tilted into the pit sending my left shin into the suddenly upturned side of the plate, my right thigh onto the curb, my left knee, left elbow, right shoulder onto the street pavement. I did, somehow, manage to protect the camera clutched in my left hand. As the other guys helped me to my feet, the mrs., in a bit of frenzy, ran down the street to get some ice, and a crowd began to gather, I shrugged it off - after all I've had worse crashes on the bike.

But damn, City of Pomona, that sh*t is not good; I am not the litigant sort, someone is going to come along and they are going to be seriously injured at that spot. Someone probably already has been seriously injured at that spot. Get your act together. I have always considered Pomona to be a city full of promise, but if you can't properly maintain your downtown sidewalks so that pedestrians can safely get around...

Well, anyway, before that

the May Ride Around Pomona was its usual fun way to spend a morning, seeing some sites based around the theme of "horses" this time, and took our small group to the old fire house from which horse-drawn engines used to emerge, out to the Fairplex where Marcus related a little about the old track, the stables, and pointed our the jockeys' and trainers' quarters, then out to Spadra and the Butterfield Stage route. Time kept us from heading out to the Kellogg Arabian horse facilities at Cal Poly, but we now know a little about its history, and that they hold "Sunday Shows" for the viewing public.








quite the destination on Saturday morning


Upon returning to downtown Pomona we paid our usual post-ride visit to Mi Cafecito, and then walked over to check out Alvin's Velo Fix van at which point...

well, you already know that part of the story. Thanks, Alvin, for the medical supplies (those bike mechanics, helpful in more ways than one), thanks to the nurse who came over to check on me, and to the mrs., who in her own frantic way showed that she cares. Anyway, since I am not hobbled, I think it is time to head over for the Latinx Rock-a-billy Festival at Pitzer College.

Until next month, keep on riding. Just watch out for those steel plates when you're on your feet.

Comments