2018 MoVal CXC Challenge

It felt good to get that monkey off the back by finally making it out to a cyclocross race this season. It was not so good to replace it with another - all those Ordinary Cyclists out there racing put me to shame. Will they revoke my right to put their name on my license? Perhaps a bribe of many photos will set things right. Well no time to worry about that, every time I stop to dwell on the implications another rider comes flashing by, a cloud of dust in their wake. Yes dust. While other areas get to race in rain and snow by now, we are still forced to put up with a blazing sun, dust and, probably, more than just a little ash.

Anyway, the SoCal Cross Prestige Series circus train rolled into its annual stop at Moreno Valley, the old March Air Force Base this weekend for two days of racing. Other than one man-made bump, the course is typically as flat as one could be - in other words, fast. Its challenge comes not so much from the usual obstacles as it does all that dust. And leaf litter. That stuff is pretty slick, even when it is all dry and crunchy.

You know, after sleeping on this post, waiting until the morning to publish, I was hoping to wake with some inspiration, but must admit there is nothing else. I think looking ahead to Thanksgiving has given me some sort of block. Fortunately next weekend will bring Turkey Trot Cross and another chance at redemption. 





I know the ground was soft and shady under that big oak, but maybe not the best place for an afternoon nap


Course Master Jeff















I tried to find faces of suffering - by and large they were hidden quite well












thank goodness someone remembered to bring a bell
























not a face of suffering - SWAT, you can do better than that

Comments