Mouth, Meet Money

Every so often I find myself on a high horse, or even just a low soapbox; actually, now that I think about it, the latter is probably the most likely. Just recently I made mention that cycling's rulers, excepting those from the mountain biking realm, have been rather deficient in finding ways of attracting new, and young (since they, hypothetically, have more time to give) riders to the sport.

Considering the relative dearth of facilities, track racing would appear to be at a disadvantage when it comes to recruitment. We here in southern California are pretty fortunate to have two outdoor tracks, as well as the world-class indoor facility, the Velo Sports Center at our disposal. Perhaps just as important as the facility itself is an organization capable of putting such a facility to good use. That is where the Connie Cycling Foundation comes in. The Foundation provides the education and training to help youths reach their competitive goals within the sport. 

Saturday 3 November is the big annual fundraiser for the foundation, and is being held at the Velo Sports Center. I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is, and anyway, it will be a good time. 

Comments