K-I-S-S-I-N-G


Whoa, what... was that a fox? That was my first thought though, if it was a red fox - highly unlikely around here - that thing was way too red. Must have been the sun playing tricks on my eyes. Must have been coyote, perhaps even Red Hugh. Or one of his progeny. Oh, there he is moving higher up - there, in the brush. No... wait, that's a deer! What the heck? Coyote and deer laying together again. KISSING. That would make the second time to witness that seeming strangeness Out here.


Over the next several seconds, one coyote after another lazily climbed out of the shade of the ravine bottom and up the embankment, until four had done so. Two them never bothered to glance my way, but the others paused momentarily to look back over their haunches at me. I waved to one, hoping he would hold still long enough to get my camera out, but no, the act only served to compel him to move along quicker. At the end of the procession, i could only capture the last one heading up the slope.


Later, after taking some time to think about it, maybe that first really red one was Coyote with a capital 'C,' and had slipped on a deer disguise. "Coyote, what? Where? No coyotes here, just us deer." That seems like something The Coyote would do. For a second night this week it was very strange Out There. Monday my nostrils picked up the unmistakable scent of wildfire, from the time i left the house to the time i got back to the house, meaning the smell wasn't just from some random backyard barbecue. Yet i still have heard no explanation, no word of any fire having burned nearby. Hmmm. Then came Wednesday, and another chapter in the saga of coyote and deer. And if that wasn't enough strangeness, I, in all honesty and without the least bit of braggadocio rode superbly. Both nights. Now that is weird.







By the way, You really should say those seven letters individually, as in that old kids' rhyme:
Deer and Coyote
Up in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love
Then comes marriage
Then comes junior [or whoever] in a baby carriage.

Alright, that's enough of that. Weird.

Comments