All Roads To the River
Being something of a John Mellencamp aficionado, i was somewhat interested in some reporters' ranking of the musicians' songs in the Times Tuesday morning. The qualification for the list was that the song had to have made it onto the Billboard Top 100. Since musical tastes change over the passing of decades, that kind of made the list irrelevant, as far as i was concerned. There was only one song since the year 2000. Sure the nostalgia thing had me in agreement with many of the picks as we got into the top ten (although i would have had Cherry Bomb much higher than number sixteen), but there are a whole load of songs from more recent albums that should have been placed on the list except for the fact that they never made the Billboard Top 100.
"... I am whispering dreams
I am howling revolutions
All road to the river
I am valentine sweet
And I live in this nightmare
All roads to the river..."
(Ian, Vezner & Mellencamp)
True, there may not be a river Out There, but all roads do lead to a stream, which once again is other than summer dry. I was very surprised to see water filling one of the upper basins, but not the least bit surprised that not a soul was around.
And yes, I know he just played the Bowl. And yes, I am bummed that I wasn't paying attention and missed the opportunity.






Comments
Post a Comment