Life Span: Specialized Flux

 

I mean, come on, they oughta last more than a couple seasons. When I bought my first Specialized Flux head light in 2020, I noted that it seemed to be solidly built, and I expected the metal shell would allow it to take a beating, and it has taken a beating - the learning curve: It hit the pavement twice during rides that first winter, after I failed to secure it properly in its bracket. Some scratches, but otherwise no worse for wear. I was happy enough with it that, after two winter seasons, I bought another, the Flux 900's more powerful brother, the Flux 1250. 

The 1250 has been used for the past two winter seasons. From the outside it looks and feels just as solid and bulletproof as the older one, but...

it is what is inside that really matters, and what is inside this newer one is, or was, just not up to snuff. Worse, maybe, the problem I have faced is apparently a not uncommon one. If comments by folks who have experienced the same problem are to be believed, and it seems quite likely, the soldering inside, particularly where it holds the charging port in place is, or was, crap. I noticed something rattling around the other evening, and could not figure out what it was until, that is, I went to charge it up. Yup, the port was gone, broken away and pushed inside.


Is it just me, or should a quality headlight last more than a couple seasons?

Comments