Into the Weekend, and Pulling for Uncle E

 

Uncle E was in a bad wreck driving home from work at the beginning of the week. In some icy conditions and, no doubt, with snow all around, he slid off the road and had to be airlifted down the mountain to hospital in Reno. He has had surgeries to neck and back, and has been on a respirator. Yup, I agree, none of that sounds good to me either.

Who is Uncle E you ask. Well, I've always called him that (uncle Ernie, to be exact), because he married my aunt. If that isn't enough to make him a standout, he is the type of uncle who no kid, be they '60s, '70s and '80s kids, or '00 to '20 kids can deny is one cool dude, one cool uncle. In fact, I once heard someone say "Ernie is everyone's uncle!" Uncle E is a Vietnam vet who, if i am not mistaken, was an underwater photographer during the war over there. When that duty was served he transitioned his know-how into taking photographs for the top scuba and surfing magazines while living in San Diego. Then, after moving to Tahoe, he recruited his friends, and industry stalwarts, founding the Ta-Hoe Nalu Stand-Up Paddle Festival, an annual event that also became a contest of international-calibre athletes. About the same time he handed the reins of that big to-do over to the next generation of organizers, Uncle E traded his pedal mountain bike for an e-mtb, instantly making those things cool. 

Wait, what... did I just write that. Well maybe the verdict is still out on that last bit.

One thing that I have never mentioned before, after myself, Uncle E is the one person responsible for encouraging me to get into racing bicycles. That's right, one day, way back when (in the 1980s), we were talking bikes and Uncle E said he had a friend who took up racing and that I should have a go at it; I said I had been doing these benefit rides, but he wasn't having any of that, essentially saying that was well and good, but... racing, that's what you should try. A few months later, I did. I few decades later, I'm still, somewhat, involved.

Anyway, we are going into the weekend now, flat tire (grudgingly accepted during this aftenoon's ride) and all. If the weather reports turn out correct I may have plenty of time to fix that problem. And since riding time might be limited, there should be extra time to send some healing vibes up to Reno where Uncle E and Auntie D could sure use them. If you have a moment of extra time, maybe send some of your own as well, I know they'll be appreciated by nephews and nieces far and wide.


Incidentally, as you can see in the photo above, the long awaited re-striping project along some of Claremont's streets has begun; remnants of the old paint has been stripped from north Mills to begin the work. By the by, the city employee driving the sweeper a way, way up the road in the photo kindly moved over and waved me by when I caught up to him - I recommend him for a nice paycheck bonus for that one.


Have a good weekend, ya'll!

Comments

  1. Mike this is wonderful. Thank you. Cousin Phyllis Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely write up of Uncle E and the impact other people have on our lives. -your sis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment