The Names


 There were four guys sitting their bikes outside the line of boulders; I didn't know if they were on their way in, as I was, or on their way out, but one was facing three and all were talking. I wasn't really paying attention, just a quick wave in acknowledgement so I could get on with the ride, though I did hear one of them say Tin Can Alley. I know that trail - Tin Can Alley - and have always assumed that RM had assigned that name to it. Maybe he did, but here was someone I didn't recognize referring to that narrow path. There wasn't anything to it really, I just found it interesting the way names are shared, disseminated, until they become widely accepted, de facto identifiers of places in the landscape.

It was another perfect evening for a ride.

Comments

  1. Nope. I can't take credit for naming 'Tin Can Alley'. That laurel goes to the first person to create the segment on Strava—'twern't me. All those names are entered on Strava, so that's the source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. Damned Strava though, word of mouth would make for a more interesting story.

      Delete

Post a Comment