Happy St. Padraig's Day

 

a lone rider on the Healy Pass, 1991

The Ennis Road (©1991)

On the Ennis Road, 'twas late at night
I heard a noise and took a fright
The road, it moved, I swear it did,
O'Connell's Pub did this to me.
It was there all night the music played
The air it rang, and the pints came free,
It was the seisun night you see.

On I went though home was far; so
At Murphy's gate I took a rest
The wind blew sudden, laughed like a lass.
I turned on her, stumbled o'er my feet, and
The ground coming up, met me going down.
Looking 'round from where I lay
I swear I seen her not too far away.
She was dressed in white with green as trim
Eyes of blue, and yellow hair, with
Silver 'round her wrists and neck.
A queen she was, for
I could see no other way that it could be.

The music started up again
Just like in the pub that night,
For this it's said, they take your sight.
In Murphy's field, they danced right there.
I and my queen, they cleared us room
And I whirled and twirled and stomped with the moon.
Her skin was soft and white, as down
And eyes that told of mischief glee.
Her court, they clapped and yelled for more
Until a final kiss farewell.

Upon that last embrace I shall not dwell
For when I awoke upon that dell twas only a
Branch held fast in my arms.

The Sidhe, sure they had their fun
And Murphy too, he found me there.
These days O'Connell's Pub seems less than grande
Since that night I dared dance with the fairy band.

Comments