Out Thunk [sic] by Red


I had finished up a couple of the single track sections in the Spreading Grounds, crossed the mid-way bridge and was heading up along the channel when I saw the couple figures moving in the distance. I wasn't sure at first, sometimes the shadows that inhabit the place at all hours but high noon momentarily trick me. But not this time; two creatures were certainly stirring about in the early morning. They trotted ahead, stopping every so often to look back at my approach. One, the closer one, eventually found an opening in the brush at the side of the service road and disappeared from sight. Just before doing so, however, as he turned the sun caught him full on the side and I saw that red hue, identifying him as... well, as the so-named Red Hugh. He was traveling with a coyote with a darker coat, and I had seen them together before.

As I rode past the spot where Red had disappeared I looked, but there was nothing to see. I knew he was there, watching me watching for him. A junction was just up the way a little and, thinking I could outsmart him, I turned, quietly set the bike down and waited, believing he would come back out to the road and continue to follow the other coyote, which was still casually walking ahead.

A few moments passed with no sign of Red. Maybe I was wrong about what he would do? I walked back out to the channel road and looked down. I was right, Hugh had come back out from cover and continued along but, just before reaching the junction where I waited he had stopped. And waited. He clearly knew something was up and had stopped short. One creature trying to out-think the other. He looked a little unsure of what he should do at that point - clearly I was blocking his way, so I took a couple shots with the camera and, satisfied with that, took my leave. We both had places to be on this sunny morning.




Comments