Hobby of a Lifetime

Dismounting, again, for another section of unrideable trail I noticed some more red, just a little running down my left leg, this time, to go with the two similar markings on my right leg. Only three, punctures, stabbings, clawings, or whatever caused them - still below average, I figured, and so ahead of the game. Later, down at the local coffee joint someone else, noticing the red streaks now smeared and dried, inquired only partially serious, "ride into some barbed wire today?"

Not today, thankfully. My bike caused both of these, and some random branch this one. "Your own bike!? Maybe it's time to find another hobby!?" Hobby? I thought, but didn't say. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. I must have been thinking about that for too long and the next thing I knew the person was beginning to walk away, saying "well, I hope your day improves." I really didn't see how it could improve any, I mean the ride had been great and I wasn't too sure how I could improve upon that. I was starting to think again and absently replied, you too, which didn't make a whole lot of sense, but... whatever. I wasn't convinced this was an explainable moment, anyway.

Comments

  1. I understand your sentiments. We stalwart cyclists are a rare breed in the grand scheme of things: we don't cyclist purely for pleasure, but to get outside and clear the mind, meditate, or commute because we need to for our soul. A little blood or bruising comes with mountain biking territory - not a biggie for you and me -though the general population can't relate. Pedal on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cuts and bruises come and go, the benefits are much longer lasting.

      Delete

Post a Comment