Starting the Weekend with a Ride to Dun Eire

"I'm a thousand miles from nowhere
Time don't matter to me
'Cause I'm a thousand miles from nowhere
And there's no place I want to be..."
(Yoakam)


I rode up to Dun Eire today, the beginning of my seasonal turn to the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park. I've always liked to think of it as "my spot," a spot away from it all, but someone had left a bouquet of flowers and I wondered at the reason. Someone else, or maybe the same someone(s), had left a couple plastic water bottles glittering in the meager sun, and I wondered at the reason. I thought of the Trash Avenger and picked them up, rode with them in hand down to the nearest trash can, in view, there, just down the road. Really not that difficult, and I wondered why someone with enough energy to get up the hill to begin with, couldn't have just carry them back down that short distance.

A lot going on this weekend, from the SCNCA Elite Championships at the Velo Sport Center, to cyclocross racing at Calimesa, to mountain bike racing at Southridge USA, to the Udo Heinz Memorial Ride. Whether you pick up someone else's trash or not, find the spot that makes you happy this weekend, and make it yours. 




an island by any other name

I never really noticed this rocky, trees shaded portion of upper Cobal Canyon.

Comments