Cycling Claremont: La Puerta Bike Path

Look at all those trees and shrubs. Where are we, somewhere in the mountains? 

Maybe someone knows, but I don't know.

What don't I know? I know I wasn't in the mountains when I took the photo below. What I don't know is if this little bit of path ever had an official name; it needs to be called something though, and for reasons to be explained, I like La Puerta Bike Path. It could also easily be called the Miramar Bike Path. Only a quarter-mile in length the shaded path runs between Miramar Avenue on the east and Indian Hill Boulevard at its west end. Hypothetically a short extension to the west of Indian Hill (with marked crosswalk) continues the path and connects it to the, longer, highly popular Thompson Creek Trail.

The argument in favor of calling this path the La Puerta Bike Path: Because it runs along the northern border of the La Puerta Sports Park and the old La Puerta school site. Simple as that. 

The argument in favor of calling the path the Miramar Bike Path: If Miramar Avenue continued through to Indian Hill this is where it would go. Simple as that.

If you live here you know that the school plans are long gone, but the sports park is a draw most any night of the week, and if you live in the neighborhood to the east, the path is the best way to get there. I mean why would you go there by any means other than bike, or foot. That just does not compute.

I don't believe the path was ever intended for anything more than local, neighborhood use; in particular I imagine the city envisioning extensive use by students when there were still plans to build the school. Though I have lived in town for sixteen years now, I have only been on the path a handful of times - normally it just does not go to or from anywhere I need, or want, to be. That said, the La Puerta Bike Path remains a popular corridor linking neighborhoods to the east and west.


If you want to visit keep in mind that this is a typical multi-use path where the standard right of way courtesies apply.

Comments